Thursday, June 25, 2015

Kids Bath: Electrical

You may wonder why I haven't had a post about the electrical work so far. Well, the answer is simple: I can't find the photo I took of the knob and tube wiring. Ha!

In any case, yes, everything had to be replaced. And, yes, the electrician was shocked how none of it caught on fire, especially the built-in electrical heater. We wonder that too.

The new bathroom will have:
  • shower light
  • fan over the toilet
  • sconce near the toilet
  • 2 lights over the large mirror
  • 2 electrical outlets
  • and a towel warmer (one of our 2 splurges)
We were considering doing some recessed lighting in the bathroom, but decided against it. We have it in the master bathroom. And the only reason we do is because the ceiling there seems so much lower, probably because of the floor to ceiling tile all around. I believe this new bathroom will look amazing with the lights the kids picked. Photos coming soon.

Monday, June 22, 2015

Kids Bath: Sheetrock

 Here we go. Ceiling is in, and the sofit is next.

These two photos are from the end of the day. You can now see the bathroom taking shape. The tub enclosure has a cement board, which is specific for wet areas and tile installation. It has superior waterproofing, though our tile installer said that if the water is reaching the cement board, he hasn't done his job right. Here's hoping for the best case scenario.

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Kids Bath: Framing

Now that we passed both structural/engineering (fire), a well as electrical and plumbing inspection, it is time to start framing the new tub enclosure. The photos are a little dark, as I took them at dusk, but I hope you get the idea. It will be clearer once the sheet-rock is up in the next day or two.
As part of framing, we've also sistered all the beams and most of the joists in the floor, as well as the left wall. It would appear that as bathrooms were being renovated, several cabinets have been installed in that wall, and they just kept cutting the joists, without providing additional support. Well, it's sturdy now. And sound proof.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Kids Bath: Plumbing

What you see in the photo above are the old cast iron pipes from the drain and the main stack, as well as galvanized steel for sink drain, and copper that was water supply. All of those are being replaced, and you can see in the photo bellow the new PVC main stack.

One interesting thing a plumber asked us was if we ever had an issue with pipes freezing in winter. We haven't. Apparently, we were very lucky. The copper supply pipes were in the outside wall, and there was no insulation. We are now making sure that EVERYTHING is insulated. Including the interior walls between the rooms. Just in case.

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Kids Bath: Demolition Time

It is finally here: demolition time. One of the complicated things about this job is that we wanted a gut renovation, since we wanted to make sure all the structural, plumbing, and electrical work was done properly, to code, and using the newest and best materials. And we don't believe in shortcuts.

Apparently, not everyone feels the same. During the gutting, we discovered many things:
1. The white bathroom we used was done somewhere in the 50s.
2. Underneath the white bathroom was another bathroom, a green, black, and gold. The walls were wallpapered in very pretty gold, and the tile was small hex, green with black edges. It must have been very pretty. We believe this was done some time in the 20s.
3. Under the green bathroom was another bathroom. This one had wood flooring and gray plaster walls. We believe this was done when the house was moved to this location.
4. We discovered that the ceiling was dropped when the bathroom was done in the 50s, so we gained another 10 inches in ceiling height.
5. The toilet was leaking for at least last 5 years, and the water was leaking between the different floor layers, spreading horizontally. Which basically means that the wood floor under the tiles was completely rotten.
6. To accommodate the change in the floor plan, when the bathroom was done in the 50's, some of the beams have been shaved down significantly. The bathroom was not structurally unsound, but very close to it. The three layers of flooring helped.

What are you looking at bellow are the remnants of the plaster that was used on the walls in the early 1900s. The "rough" plaster contains the horse hair, as was the custom back there. Combined with the cement, it was extremely strong material. On top of it was a 1/8 inch layer of fine decorative plaster, in gray color. Very smooth and very pretty. There were some gradations in color, so I believe there was either a design or even a painted fresco on it.