Apparently, not everyone feels the same. During the gutting, we discovered many things:
1. The white bathroom we used was done somewhere in the 50s.
2. Underneath the white bathroom was another bathroom, a green, black, and gold. The walls were wallpapered in very pretty gold, and the tile was small hex, green with black edges. It must have been very pretty. We believe this was done some time in the 20s.
3. Under the green bathroom was another bathroom. This one had wood flooring and gray plaster walls. We believe this was done when the house was moved to this location.
4. We discovered that the ceiling was dropped when the bathroom was done in the 50s, so we gained another 10 inches in ceiling height.
5. The toilet was leaking for at least last 5 years, and the water was leaking between the different floor layers, spreading horizontally. Which basically means that the wood floor under the tiles was completely rotten.
6. To accommodate the change in the floor plan, when the bathroom was done in the 50's, some of the beams have been shaved down significantly. The bathroom was not structurally unsound, but very close to it. The three layers of flooring helped.
What are you looking at bellow are the remnants of the plaster that was used on the walls in the early 1900s. The "rough" plaster contains the horse hair, as was the custom back there. Combined with the cement, it was extremely strong material. On top of it was a 1/8 inch layer of fine decorative plaster, in gray color. Very smooth and very pretty. There were some gradations in color, so I believe there was either a design or even a painted fresco on it.