Skip to main content

Hm, I think we are officially home

In an effort to get few more things off the official To Do List (nice, right?), I finally pulled the trigger and ordered our stationery. I had the hardest time making a decision on the design, until it dawned on me one day to use the House as the inspiration. This, of course, comes with its own set of problems, as printers won't: a) use color photos, b) retouch anything for you, especially the custom design, and c) will charge you an arm and a leg for every change, proof, etc. Awful, really. No wonder there are so many independent stationery makers these days. I do this very infrequently, so I guess I forgot what it is like.

So, here is the final result:



I used our magnificent window in the Hall as the basics. First, I had to convert the photo to black and white, then I had to "clean" all the little windows, because the printer threatened that all the little scuff marks will print. Then they said they couldn't engrave or thermograph this design, and will only print it flat. Having exhausted every option, I said yes, but then had an idea, which in hindsight was a brilliant piece of thinking, even though I say so myself: the window and our name will be flat printed, but then I'll use glitter and glue to "color" the little pieces of "glass" the same color as they are in real life, amber and amethyst. This gave the stationery some weight and dimension, as well as sparkle. Who knew a free gift from Martha Stewart could serve me this well? Never thought of myself as glitter girl, but I think I like it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We found the "missing" house

Thanks to one of our readers, Robert, who identified the house on South Mountain Avenue.

I almost crashed into a tree while looking at it and can't believe I never noticed it before. It was right there. I mean, it looks exactly the same as in this photo. Right?






The funny thing is that I drive by the house almost daily. Which goes to show you just how many things go unnoticed in our lives...

Award from Montclair Historic Preservation Commission

Our lovely porch restoration has won an award from the Montclair Historic Preservation Commission for Brick and Mortar Preservation project in the residential category.

We are very honored. Here is the story in Baristanet.

And here is the photo of the porch.




The awards ceremony is on Thursday, November 19. We hope to see you all there.

Kids Bath: Electrical - DONE

Electrical - DONE, TOO! Yay!

However, he opened a hole in the wall in the wrong place above the mirror, so now that needs to be patched up tomorrow. That means an extra day tacked on. We really wanted it to be finished tomorrow. We are already 4 days over schedule. Ugh.

I. Need. This. Job. To. End.