Skip to main content

On the agenda this weekend - mulch

Oh, yes, all 15 yards of it. We kept thinking the portion of our property that has flower beds was small, until I started measuring and calculating. Well, it turns out we have quite a lot of flower beds, or portions of the yard that are under a shade so heavy, nothing can grow there.

Because the kids are so small, I opted for the really good stuff: cedar, without any color. Because it's cedar, it doesn't need to be treated with any chemicals, and it's a natural bug repellent. So, I searched high and low for it. About a month. I even drove down to Riverdale to get samples in little sandwich bags. No, I was serious about this.

Most garden centers nowadays carry the mulch only in bags. And for 15 yards, that's a lot of bags. Two of the centers I frequent mostly suggested I talk to the guys at RER Supply, local branch of 1800Topsoil. They said they get their mulch from them, and considering the quantities and quality I want, it's best to go wholesale.

So, we did, and the truck just dumped it in my backyard. Happy Memorial Day to us! And let's get to work!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We found the "missing" house

Thanks to one of our readers, Robert, who identified the house on South Mountain Avenue.

I almost crashed into a tree while looking at it and can't believe I never noticed it before. It was right there. I mean, it looks exactly the same as in this photo. Right?






The funny thing is that I drive by the house almost daily. Which goes to show you just how many things go unnoticed in our lives...

Award from Montclair Historic Preservation Commission

Our lovely porch restoration has won an award from the Montclair Historic Preservation Commission for Brick and Mortar Preservation project in the residential category.

We are very honored. Here is the story in Baristanet.

And here is the photo of the porch.




The awards ceremony is on Thursday, November 19. We hope to see you all there.

Kids Bath: Electrical - DONE

Electrical - DONE, TOO! Yay!

However, he opened a hole in the wall in the wrong place above the mirror, so now that needs to be patched up tomorrow. That means an extra day tacked on. We really wanted it to be finished tomorrow. We are already 4 days over schedule. Ugh.

I. Need. This. Job. To. End.