Skip to main content

Something to write about

As a writer of an almost daily blog, it is always a challenge to think of what comes next, especially if the subject is as narrow as our House and it's initial owner. Some of the subjects write themselves, like the repairs, and the history, as we uncover it. But, sometimes, there is a lull in the events and research, so it gets hard to fill in the blog with meaningful stories.

Well, this is not one of those lulls. You see, every so often, somebody throws us/me a curve ball, and I can be set for a week. For example, when I opened the mail today, a large envelope arrived from S.K., a local resident who contacted me recently. She is an owner of one of Fenn's paintings and she has graciously invited me to view it. Of course, I haven't made it to her house yet, so she raised the stakes - she mailed me a very old, carbon copy of a type-written letter to the Editor of the Evening Post about "late" Harry Fenn. The letter was written on May 10, 1911, about a month after his death and it is a beautiful account of his life and spirit. It was signed by:



I wish I could post the letter here, but it is rather lengthy, and I don't want to promise you I will transcribe it, and then fail to do it.

I will, however, search the Evening Post archives to see if it got published and give you the link to read at your leisure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We found the "missing" house

Thanks to one of our readers, Robert, who identified the house on South Mountain Avenue.

I almost crashed into a tree while looking at it and can't believe I never noticed it before. It was right there. I mean, it looks exactly the same as in this photo. Right?






The funny thing is that I drive by the house almost daily. Which goes to show you just how many things go unnoticed in our lives...

Award from Montclair Historic Preservation Commission

Our lovely porch restoration has won an award from the Montclair Historic Preservation Commission for Brick and Mortar Preservation project in the residential category.

We are very honored. Here is the story in Baristanet.

And here is the photo of the porch.




The awards ceremony is on Thursday, November 19. We hope to see you all there.

Kids Bath: Electrical - DONE

Electrical - DONE, TOO! Yay!

However, he opened a hole in the wall in the wrong place above the mirror, so now that needs to be patched up tomorrow. That means an extra day tacked on. We really wanted it to be finished tomorrow. We are already 4 days over schedule. Ugh.

I. Need. This. Job. To. End.