Skip to main content

The "Poost" House

Another surprise in my inbox - a series of emails from the family that owned the House in the 1960's, 1970's, and much of 1980's. How amazing!

Well, I do have a confession to make: they actually contacted me about 2 weeks ago. For the last 14 days they have been delighting me with amazing stories of the House and the improvements/repairs that they made. Fantastic information to have.

Quick recap: the Poost family owned the House from 1960/61 to what I gather to be late 1980's (I forgot to ask). When we moved in 2008, one of the older neighbors asked us which house. We said 208. And then he said: "Ah, the Poost House." Naturally, we were intrigued. But, having a new baby in the House, we soon forgot to finish the research. But, the name kept coming up. For example, in the National Register of Historic Places, the House is listed as The Cedars aka The Poost House. That is a great distinction.

Needless to say, we were very excited to "speak" to them via email and to see the photos of the House when they were living there. And the stories, ah, the stories...

For example, it turns out that the House had a slate roof when they moved in 1960. After the roof was past its prime, they decided to replace it. Mrs. Poost, not wanting to just dump the slate tiles, stacked them under the front porch. See, I've been noticing a little pieces of slate here and there around the property. So, incentivized by Micheal Poost's email about the slate roof, I went to look. Do you want to guess what I found under our front porch?!?



Yes, the slate tiles are still there!!! Our roofer told me they are not usable anymore, at least not for roofing, but I am welcome to paint them. If he knew how bad I was at painting, he wouldn't have said that. Or maybe he does know?

Oh, and this one, and I am quoting Michael Poost: "The house had seven fireplaces when we moved in. Kitchen, Dining room, Hall, and Living room on the first floor and the three front most bedrooms on the second floor. The chimneys were brick and none of the flues were lined and none of the fireplaces had dampers. The flues were closed by stuffing them with newspapers. When we originally cleaned out the house, my father told my mother to just light the newspapers in the flues and burn them out. She said no, you never know what might be hidden and pulled the newspapers out. In the room above the Living room, which we believe was the son’s bedroom of the previous owner, she found two sticks of dynamite above the newspapers. We were all glad she looked before lighting. We rebuilt the Living room fireplace with a Heatilator metal fireplace and that was used all of the time. It made that room very cozy on cold nights." How's that for a story?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We found the "missing" house

Thanks to one of our readers, Robert, who identified the house on South Mountain Avenue.

I almost crashed into a tree while looking at it and can't believe I never noticed it before. It was right there. I mean, it looks exactly the same as in this photo. Right?






The funny thing is that I drive by the house almost daily. Which goes to show you just how many things go unnoticed in our lives...

Award from Montclair Historic Preservation Commission

Our lovely porch restoration has won an award from the Montclair Historic Preservation Commission for Brick and Mortar Preservation project in the residential category.

We are very honored. Here is the story in Baristanet.

And here is the photo of the porch.




The awards ceremony is on Thursday, November 19. We hope to see you all there.

Kids Bath: Electrical - DONE

Electrical - DONE, TOO! Yay!

However, he opened a hole in the wall in the wrong place above the mirror, so now that needs to be patched up tomorrow. That means an extra day tacked on. We really wanted it to be finished tomorrow. We are already 4 days over schedule. Ugh.

I. Need. This. Job. To. End.