Skip to main content

A Plug

I don't normally do this, as you've all noticed, but as I was cleaning out my "reference" shelf in the office, I grabbed this book again to re-read. It is The Virgin Homeowner: The Essential Guide to Owning, Maintaining and Surviving Your Home by Janice Papolos.


And I have to tell you, this book saved my sanity. I started reading it when we purchased our first apartment in 2006, knowing a lot of things in the book are not applicable, but still good general knowledge to have. Then, when we were buying this House, I read it again, this time notebook and pen in hand. I made sure to make notes in the book, in the notebook, asked appropriate questions of our suppliers, contractors, etc. Honestly, it has made for a much easier transition than it would normally been, especially with a toddler and a newborn in the House. I don't remember having any fear of the House or panic attacks when things wouldn't work. And for a new mother and a new house owner, that is very good.

So, if you have a chance, and time, please check it out. It is written in plain language and no doubt you have lived through at least one, if not all, of the things she writes about. And it's funny too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We found the "missing" house

Thanks to one of our readers, Robert, who identified the house on South Mountain Avenue.

I almost crashed into a tree while looking at it and can't believe I never noticed it before. It was right there. I mean, it looks exactly the same as in this photo. Right?






The funny thing is that I drive by the house almost daily. Which goes to show you just how many things go unnoticed in our lives...

Award from Montclair Historic Preservation Commission

Our lovely porch restoration has won an award from the Montclair Historic Preservation Commission for Brick and Mortar Preservation project in the residential category.

We are very honored. Here is the story in Baristanet.

And here is the photo of the porch.




The awards ceremony is on Thursday, November 19. We hope to see you all there.

Kids Bath: Electrical - DONE

Electrical - DONE, TOO! Yay!

However, he opened a hole in the wall in the wrong place above the mirror, so now that needs to be patched up tomorrow. That means an extra day tacked on. We really wanted it to be finished tomorrow. We are already 4 days over schedule. Ugh.

I. Need. This. Job. To. End.