Skip to main content

Heating Issues

About a week ago, I went out with kids for a morning of their scheduled activities. When we came home, the temperature inside the House was 64 degrees. Immediately, I went down to the basement and reset the burner. Luckily, it went back on, and within one hour the temperature was up to 70 degrees, where we usually keep the thermostat during the day. Of course, it didn't help that it was one of those really cold days, but we lived. Since this never happened before, I called our service company to check it out. The technician came, saw, and left. Said everything was in a perfect working order and he had no idea why it decided to stop. This seemed a little strange, but we just shrugged it off as one of those things that happens some times. Especially since our furnace was of the 2008 vintage.

And it would have probably stayed that way, had not the same thing happened again today. I left the House to run some errands and left the kids to nap with the sitter. By the time I came back, the temperature in the House was 63 degrees. Again, I went down to the basement, and reset the burner. Called the service company again. The technician came within minutes, as he usually does. At this point, I got a bit worried. The furnace to stop working twice in two weeks - not good. He gave it a thorough check and said the problem was... a dirty filter. He replaced it and cleaned the nozzle, and said we should be good. So, holding our fingers crossed, as the big snow is approaching.


Popular posts from this blog

We found the "missing" house

Thanks to one of our readers, Robert, who identified the house on South Mountain Avenue.

I almost crashed into a tree while looking at it and can't believe I never noticed it before. It was right there. I mean, it looks exactly the same as in this photo. Right?

The funny thing is that I drive by the house almost daily. Which goes to show you just how many things go unnoticed in our lives...

History - Part I: Who was Harry Fenn?

The Cedars, or Henry (Harry) Fenn residence, was built in 1885. Harry Fenn was a watercolor artist and an illustrator. He was born in Richmond, Surrey, England in 1845. He first trained as a wood engraver before embarking on a career as a painter and print maker.

In 1860's, Fenn settled in the United States after coming to see the Niagara Falls. After spending six years in the U.S., he left to pursue further art studies in Italy. He returned to illustrate his first book, “Snow Bound,” written by John Greenleaf Whittier. The success of this first illustration project lead to more work and Fenn’s second book, “Ballads of New England.” These two books were the first illustrated gift books of their kind in the United States. They were important milestones in the history of American book making and created great renown for the artist.

In the 1870's Fenn traveled extensively around the country for numerous illustration projects. One such trip brought him to western North Carolina for …

Kids Bath: Electrical - DONE

Electrical - DONE, TOO! Yay!

However, he opened a hole in the wall in the wrong place above the mirror, so now that needs to be patched up tomorrow. That means an extra day tacked on. We really wanted it to be finished tomorrow. We are already 4 days over schedule. Ugh.

I. Need. This. Job. To. End.