Skip to main content

Posts

Landscaping: A Few Months Later

November. Almost Thanksgiving. We are still here. Roasting marshmallows tonight.
This yard has certainly been one of the best investments we made.
Recent posts

Landscaping (continued)

... continued from previous post

Not that the water drainage and stairs are in, time to lay down the stone in a new pattern. The old stone will be reused in the middle of the yard, and new stone, not cut in geometric shapes, so natral looking, will be on the edges, as a design feature.
Here is the beginning stage. It is almost like a giant puzzle. Except that each piece weighs a ton.

Once the stone was laid, it was time to move to the back corner of the yard. Basically, the one with the chronic problem of water, no shade, and really just a mud pit for most of the time. To manage the water, we have dug up the trenches, with will hold corrugated pipes and rocks, and will take the water away from the house and into the french drains. Here is one of the ditches.
And here is the final result.
The water drainage and the ditches are hidden by the river rock, so it looks like a dry river bed. That section of the yard that was always the mud pit, has now been covered with pebbles. We already…

Landscaping: Part 326

Just kidding. It's only part 26 ;-)

If you may recall, back in 2015 we had a master landscaping done by Jennifer Bakshi of Urban Oasis. Here it is. This Spring, in addition to doing the work on the chimney at the front of the house, we also decided to do the phase 1 of the landscape plan. It was time. So, this post describes the work already completed several months ago, but it gives me something to write about, as we are not going to be doing any work this Fall.

This is our starting point. When we first purchased the house, the section of the yard that was above the retaining wall was a forest. Lots of trees, tall bushes, grasses, not very hospitable. Within a year of moving in, we hired Terra Graphics to level it, and fence it off, since herds of deer had a tendency to spend a lot of time there. This worked beautifully. But, now is time to address the area directly outside of the house. Because the top was wild, the previous owners, basically used the bottom part as both seating…

Test run for the new fireplace

Not a whiff of smoke. And, more importantly, it is absolutely stunning.

Cheeky cheeks

It is remarkable things one learns when doing construction and restoration project. This is how I learned today that sides of the insert, which will contain tiles, are called "cheeks". Go figure. This is what our cheeks will look like:
One of the reasons the insert has been on back order for 6 months are these tiles. They are historic reproduction, much like the insert itself. However, these are hand painted. It turned out that we would have actually had to wait another 3 months for these, but our contractor, Mark Schaub from Chimney Savers, actually had a set in his storage. So, we are using these, which are about 20 years old. And, I hope, all the better for it.

Time to instal the insert

This project is moving so smoothly, it's daunting. It looks like we will have a new, working, nonsmoking fireplace in time for, well, this weekend. Here is what the filled in box looks like:
After the not-so-original firebox was removed, the space needed to be re-framed, as the insert is cast iron, so very heavy. This is why you see the new sheet-rock in the background. And this is what the insert looks like from the back:
I must admit, I didn't realize it will be that shallow, but our contractor tell us there will be a very significant difference in the amount of heat generated, not to mention absence of draft. We shall see.

Moving inside

Now that the chimney is finished, time to move the work inside. This is where we are right now.
The current mantel already has a new home. We sold it to a local family, and we hope they will enjoy it.

The next step is to remove the existing firebox, as well as the granite hearth, and the granite surround.
And this is where we are after the first day of demolition. You can see the new flue opening in the back of the firebox. The insert will be fitted to that opening. Obviously, it will also need to be filled in, as it is a different shape than this current opening. Keep reading.